Saturday 23 July 2011

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.... DeeDee's

Here is a nice tale and restaurant profile to go with your delicious Saturday evening.

Yesterday, I was sitting writing recipes and prepping a bit of food for a catering job. It was a beautiful day out and I was being a bit of a grump. In order to turn my unnecessary frown upside down I decided to cheer myself up and go get an ice cream. I am incredibly fortunate because I have wonderful neighborhood ice cream shop just down the street...so my smile wasn't far away. 

Dee Dee's is a local small business with three locations and they make ice cream. They boast that "The ice cream is made with fresh milk, cream, raw organic sugar and only the highest quality extract"  The same with their spirit lifting sorbets that are dairy free and open for business to anyone lactose free.

This ice cream is melt in your mouth, creamy, and delicious.  Picture a basket filled with anything that makes you smile. Then turn that basket into an ice cream and you have Dee Dee's. Not to mention the whole shop comes in this beautifully made package that just reminds you of carefree days in the sun. 


Dee Dee's also sells homemade burrito's that are the size of half a leg and cost very little (between $6-9). They have a few different options ranging from vegetarian to chicken or beef. Again they use all locally sourced ingredients to fill the burrito as well as Nova Scotian home grown organic lettuce (Whoot  Whoot to them..) Lettuce that tastes like lettuce is hard to find these days. They look awesome. I have yet to try one but will be sure to the next time I am looking for a meal and dessert. I can say that I did see a few hungry customers walk out beaming holding their large burrito which is a good indication that it's worth the try. 

The staff were friendly, fast and enthusiastic about the ice cream and their favorites. They even asked the customers while we were in line if we had any song requests from their ipod. So cute. I snagged a photo of them to share with you!! 



I left Dee Dee's with a hop in my step and in my hand a homemade waffle cone with a scoop of coffee icecream. Fully rejuvenated for the rest of the day. Hurrah. 



Eat, drink and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment