Wednesday 20 July 2011

The Magical Mystery Tour...

Tis the middle of the week my friends.  I hope you are well fed and happy this evening.

Having recently moved home I have been checking in with ol' chef friends.  It is always fun to sit and reminisce about  glutness meals, failed menu's, food idea's, playful memories and catching up on lost time in the kitchen with each other.

A good friend of mine here in Halifax Chef Thomas surprised me the other night with a marvelous 6 course meal offer. This meal offer came from the guilt of missing my business launch because of getting a little too "happy" aka plastered the night before at his friends bachelor party.  Now I'm not one to ever turn down the offer of a tasting menu especially when I know it comes from the heart and a place of wanting to strike a deal. I  fully appreciated the fact that this was his peace offering and so in tow my lovely mother and I headed down to a meal made by a food loving, respected chef.

I would now like to share the glory of this meal with you. I call this the Magical Mystery Tour because walking into a tasting menu, you never know what could be thrown at you!!!  I walked out with my mom saying she had been taken to the heavens, the moon and back. If that doesn't describe magic in a meal I don't know what does. 




 Homemade Biscuits to start. This was a happy reminder that we are in the east coast.



Amuse Bouche (This is a small 2-3 bite starter that is supposed to awaken your palate before the meal, in english amuse your mouth... tickle your tastebuds...) And after this mine had practically jumped out of my mouth.
Sesame, pickled red cabbage slaw with due of mussels - Crisp, Elegant,Balanced


 First Course: Let me preface this with, if I had to write a menu for my last meal by golly would this ever be on it, for at least 3 different courses. SO GOOD!.

Truffle, Potato Soup with Salt Cod Fritter and Seared Fois Gras (Chervil Garnish) - Rich, Simple, Love in a bowl

2nd Course:


 Saffron Lobster Ravioli and Dragons Breath Cheese (made here in N.S.) Sauteed Asparagus, Shaved Fennel, Lemon, Tarragon and whole butter - Pungent, Flavourful, Filling
Thinking about this course I may or may not be drooling right now. 

Palate Cleanser: This is to clear the palate and get it ready for the next course. If you read again the above dishes you can see that they were fatty, a little heavier and did have a merriment of flavours between the 1st and 2nd course. Now came the time to clear away the old tastes and bring in the new. 



Mango and Raspberry Sorbet. Simply delightful in every way.




Now drum role please..... The Main:
Dried Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Fig Spread and Veal Reduction, Roast Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts - Aromatic, Tender, To Die For!

I wish I could share with you the amazing smell that wafted through the dining room as this plate was brought to our table. If I could I would bottle it and then wear it as perfume. (I would smell like the loveliest roasted garlic in the world)

Last but not in the very bit least..... Dessert:








Deepfried Apple Pie, Salted Caramel, Peanut Brittle and Cream Cheese Ice cream

Deepfried Blueberry Pie, Salted Caramel, Peanut Brittle and Banana Ice Cream


This was around the point where my mom proclaimed that she had indeed been to the heavens, the moon and back! 



Thank you Chef Thomas my friend, for an amazing meal, for taking my mom and I into your world of flavour creation and food magic. 


Eat, drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment