Monday 11 July 2011

Hey Hey We're The Monkeys... The Wooden Monkey

 I love cooking, and serving wack loads of people food and drink. However, on the flip side I love eating other peoples kitchen creations.  In fact one of my favorite pastimes is enjoying food and drink in the company of good friends.

Saturday night presented such an evening. Two of my fun loving girlfriends called me up and offered to take me to dinner. This offer was ridiculously sweet for two reasons:

a) I just moved back to my home province Halifax N.S., and am starting my own catering/culinary class business. This endeavor is eating up most of my current funds at the moment.(Who knew they didn't print business cards for free.... or that you can't barter your way into kitchen space by offering the landlord cookies... silly really)

b) This blog is supposed take readers on an adventure of not just my culinary endeavors but the eateries around town.

So, I jumped at the occasion with a promise to return the favor and to cook dinner for them on a day of their choosing.

- The Wooden Monkey -  Nestled in the heart of downtown Halifax The Wooden Monkey is a two story restaurant that strikes the perfect balance between country cottage inn and Dublin pub. The lower level of the restaurant has large inviting windows that offer a beautiful l view of downtown Halifax. I enjoy natural light and couldn't help but notice how before dusk they provided a perfect pairing to the funky and inviting hand crafted wood tables (how fitting)  
 We were seated right away. In a split second our server was beside us with a charmed greeting, a warm smile and the questions of libation (much appreciated) I had a dirty gin martini, and they vodka. The martini's were chilled, and shaken to perfection. The bartender even asked the server to check on us a second time making sure we were satisfied with the level of dirt (olive juice) Such care. 
The meal started off with Nacho's to share. Sometimes I loath the idea of nachos to start a nice meal because they can be greasy, with sad cheese that has no taste and out of the jar salsa. Not at The Wooden Monkey The nachos were flavourful, light and colourful. Picture this: Organic blue tortilla chip base, sprinkled  mozzarella and white cheddar garnished by jalenpenos, red peppers,red onions and homemade salsa with locally sourced ingredients. ohhhh my.
 

*demolished* Enough for three and then some



After my pleasant nacho surprise I started seriously considering my choice of mains. The menu is full of many tempting options. Not to mention gluten free offerings for all you celiacs! The server was patient, attentive, and when I asked her for her favorite options she became flustered at the thought of choosing just one and spoke highly of all dishes on the menu. A good sign.
We finally decided on:
* Scallop and Sun dried Tomato Pasta
Digby scallops, roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and basil pesto, with organic brown rice noodles, finished with a dash of cream and parmesan cheese
... $24
The food superb, and I ate each bite grinning ear to ear.  
The service was the best service I have had at a restaurant in a long time. Patient, attentive, sweet and knowledgeable about the restaurants food and beverage options. 
The Menu, charming with plenty of flavour and variety. The restaurant uses only locally sourced products and emphasizes the importance of supporting the community. You can taste the difference! Hurrah for Farm to table cuisine The company!! Fabulous, and entertaining honestly two of my favorite people to dine with. The drinks, well received and continuously flowing The atmosphere comfortable, easy going with a hint of elegance.
Check out their website: http://www.thewoodenmonkey.ca/index.shtml
 I would go back in a heartbeat (and will) 

Eat, drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment