Friday 2 September 2011

Going to the chapel... Part 1

Today is a very special day. It is the day before one of my best friends is to walk down the aisle, hold her sweethearts hand and pledge a long life of love and happiness.

 In my line of work I have been to many weddings working as a cook, server, bartender. I have always enjoyed working weddings. It's fun to see the set up, decor, and always memorable to be a part of people coming together to celebrate love happiness. During a wedding there are a few aspects I am usually very drawn to. 

 1) Seeing the bride walk down the aisle and her hubbies face light up with magic. 
 2) Food - Obviously...  hah I like to think that food and drink play a great part in a awesome and memorable wedding
3) Wedding cake

Being a chef, I have never fully crossed the line into the idea that I could also work in pastry. I've dappled in here and there in order to learn and appreciate the fine craft of a pastry chef but never fully emersed myself in lets say... the task of making a wedding cake. 

Until Now. 

When my friends announced their engagement, I announced that for their wedding present I would gladly make their wedding cake. Then I gulped, felt nausea and thought to myself 'HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO MAKE A WEDDING CAKE' 
So here we are the day before the wedding. In the last 12 months I have practiced, watched trained professionals, talked to my lovely pastry chef friends, been consoled by others. I've biked the streets of Halifax contemplating size, batter, icing, and decorations.  Finally I have come to terms with the fact that this wedding cake is coming together. So here it is... 4 tiers, 2 tiers are filled with vanilla buttercream, and the other two strawberry buttercream. The cake will have gum paste Calla Lilies cascading down the four layers. 


The ribbon is to match the their wedding colours. 
The finishing touches have yet to take place. But the cakes are sitting waiting for tomorrow to come.  I am full of excitement for my friends, and incredibly happy to contribute to their wedding in this way. 
YAY wedding!!
Eat drink and enjoy, 


No comments:

Post a Comment