Friday 9 September 2011

Hey hey good lookin, whatcha got cookin?.... Opening Soon (Toronto)

It's Friday afternoon and I hope that you are excited for your weekend fun to be paired with tummy satisfying food and some good ol fashion beverages. 

Today I woke up with a rumble in my belly and a longing for  homemade sausage. This must be because I just said farewell to a good friend in Toronto, Ontario who is the co-owner of Sausage Partners. Just about the coolest butcher shop, wholesale meat producer, farm loving, family owned, local sourcing produce store in the world. Don't worry folks I wasn't paid to say that I am just telling the gosh darn truth.  Let me explain a little bit more because today I am profiling them for your pleasure. 


Sausage partners was born from a love of meat. Local meat, and the idea that people should be able to create a connection between the animal, the farmer, the butcher, and the customer. So Lorraine and Kyle Deming along with their little girl decided to open a shop that creates this connection. Not just with sourcing local animals and buying from farmers who put emphasis on sustainable farming practices. But, by creating a community with it. They will be selling their sausages, home jarred pickles, relish, jams, and marmalade to restaurants in and around Toronto to share the locally produced love. Sausage Partners sources their meats from Kawartha Ecological Growers (KEG) A collective of small scale family farms in the Kawartha region of Ontario. These farmers have a beautiful mandate : Good, clean, fair food which works perfectly for Lorrain and Kyle because they believe in happy animals, small farms, responsible farming practices, respecting the land in which we produce from and free range.
To take you on a tour inside I have some photo's.  Their shop is FUN!
One side of the store has framed photo's for sale by Jordan Starr who takes pictures of organic farms. The artwork is enough to have you galloping out of the store in the direction of the closest farm. Creating a pure want to be closer to the land. They are truly beautiful pieces.

Then we have my favorite part of the business besides the fact that they buy local, produce local, eat local and love food. The spice grinder!!!!  On the white door to the left that is hung on the wall is an old spice grinder from the early 1900's. This means that you can buy your whole spices and grind them fresh at your local butcher/produce shop. How fun. I love this idea and am now on a hunt for one to hang in my kitchen.



Hurrah to the lovely vintage shelves that will hold all the delicious preserves and dried goods they have to sell. I love their preserves and seeing this bottle of pear jam reminds me of crazed conversations with Lorraine this summer where I would call her while strawberry preserving and she would pick up while also being knee deep jam. Both laughing over the phone and convincing each other that preserving on a Friday evening is a cool thing to do!

There we have it the tour of Sausage Partners I have to say I am incredibly proud of the shop and food culture Kyle and Lorraine Deming are helping to build. All from a love of good tasting sausages. See what good food can inspire. 

Eat, drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment