Thursday 29 September 2011

Ma's kitchen... Corn Salsa

Hello there and a happy Thursday afternoon. Today I am laughing. It is close to the end of the week and I have tomorrow evening to look forward to. It is my good friends birthday and we shall be celebrating the evening starting at the local Garrison Brewery If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that I love this brewery. They create amazing beers, support local, provide me with malt for beer bread and constantly have something new a brew'in.

Now each of my friends has a favorite dish that I make. Everyone of them has a different taste, and I've recognized that when they choose a favorite it barely ever changes. Thus making me feel a bit like the ol' ma in the kitchen. Anywho I love feeding my friends and so for my lovely's birthday I decided to get creative in the kitchen this morning and make loads of her favorite dish. I then thought if she enjoys it sooo much so might you. 
 Nova Scotia Sweet Corn and Tomato Salsa-Made with Love
Recipe
3 Large Field Tomatoes - Tomatoes are in season and you should be able to purchase them from your local farmers market or even in some locally sourcing grocery stores
1 Jalapeno Pepper
4 Cobs Corn
3 Avocados 
1 Red Onion
1 Bunch Parsley 
1 Lemon
2 tbsp Olive Oil 
Salt and Pepper

Directons:
Boil your corn in a pot or large saucepan with the husks on to cook the corn. Trust me my chef mentor showed me this and it's probably the most brilliant trick I ever heard. Your husks will fall right off and you wont have to worry about a crazy stringy mess in your kitchen. 
 Dice your tomatoes while the corn is cooking. Once the corn is cooked peel off the husk and cut the corn off the cob. Add to to diced tomatoes.  Then take a red onion and dice it in the same shape and size as you have your tomatoes.  When cutting the jalapeno be very careful. The seeds and vein of the pepper are what controls the heat. If  you want a spicy salsa then chop up the whole jalapeno seeds and all very fine and add it to the salsa. If you are not prone to spice cut out the seeds and then chop up the pepper very fine.
 
To cut your avocado slice it in half, and then cut diagonally and vertically. This is a very easy way to cut an avocado into salsa friendly squares. It will automatically come out as you press on the skin from the back. Add your avocado to the bowl of tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno and corn. Then zest a whole lemon into the bowl, cut in half and juice it as well. This will lighten up the salsa, and help to bring out the natural flavours. Chop up your parsley very fine, throw it in the bowl, and add in your olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste! E voila, you have made Nova Scotia Sweet Corn and Tomato Salsa

Eat, drink and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment