Sunday 18 September 2011

Jumpin at the Woodside.....Morris East

There are few mornings that I wake up and truly need to be inspired to get into the kitchen and create. Yesterday just happen to be a morning where I was looking for some good food to cure the rumble in my belly and add that culinary zest back into my life. So for Brunch to Morris East I went.
Morris East describes themselves as a "creative neighborhood restaurant in downtown Halifax" They pride themselves on sourcing artisanel, seasonal products and support local farmers. I was actually inspired to eat at Morris East after having a conversation with a local organic farmer about just how awesome they are! Farmers promoting restaurants promoting farmers... Too cool.

Morris East  makes traditional thin crust pizza, with an accompaniment of daily wood fire mains;having imported a beautiful wood-fire oven from Italy (Just like Nonna used). This menu transcends into brunch and we are offered a selection of 9 pizza's to choose from and 9 brunch plates.


 From the moment my friend and I step in to the restaurant my spirit was lifted and inspiration for food began to ignite once more. The restaurant is a beauty. Clean simple lines, high ceilings, comfortable tables and warm friendly servers who greeted us with a smile and a laugh.  We jumped right in starting off with a couple of cocktails to ease us further into our morning of glee. 

    Bee’s Knees
rittenhouse rye (1oz), evan williams
honey reserve bourbon (0.5oz),
ns wildflower honey, strawberry purée

A fresh pick-me up! I love the inhouse strawberry puree. A perfect calmer for the bourbon. Had it not of been Saturday morning I would have enjoyed a few more of these. My friend had a Tideview Raspberry Cider. Our server gladly explained that these ciders are made from all local Nova Scotian grown fruits.

First Course: was the scrumptious Breakfast Wrap stuffed with chantrelle mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, arugula and dijon aioli. 
Now don't let my picture fool you (my camera and I don't always get along) This wrap was the best breakfast wrap I have ever had. The eggs were cooked perfectly still light and fluffy, the wrap itself made in house served warm and fresh. The chantrelle's are still dancing on my tongue. Such flavour, and believe you me they packed it full.
Their breakfast wrap changes weekly, and I'm hoping the next time this special comes on they will call me so I can run down and experience the flavour combination for a second time.
Second Course:  Big Breakfast wood-fired pizza - If you have ever questioned having a fried egg on your pizza, head down to Morris East and let them shed some light onto any doubts you may have. The crust was light and crisp (definitely reminded me of thin crust napolitana pizza dough) I tried to poke my head into their kitchen on the way to the bathroom secretly hoping to see some old italians throwing dough. The toppings were plentiful and consisted of : Fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella, spinach, portobello mushroom, housemade bacon, greens and a perfectly cooked still runny sunnyside up fried egg. Bellisima.  This can also be accompanied by in house made chilli oil which was offered to us very politely before the pizza hit the table.

Last but not least the dessert portion of our meal.
Homemade French Toast. Our server recommended this right off the bat so we knew it was right to save it for last.  Picture this.... Light as air brioche french toast. A traditional French bread who's high egg and butter content give it a very tender texture and beautiful colour. This bread is perfect for french toast, and in turn the french toast was palate pleasing and oh so satisfying. Served with a trio of whip cream, maple syrup and blackberry coulis twas the perfect ending to a very satisfying brunch experience.
Yesterday Morris East set the tune for a great day. Fresh ingredients fly off the plates and create flavours I'm already craving again.The owner Jennie is lovely and came to our table with a huge smile and personal introduction. In any City I live in I seek to find a spot like this. Creative food, servers that appreciate the restaurants just as much as the patrons, easy atmosphere, appreciation for local, and an emphasis on drink pairing.

Yesterday I was insipired.

Eat, Drink and Enjoy!










2 comments:

  1. YUM!
    I am so jealous. Morris East is the best.
    You are too cute.
    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete