Monday 2 January 2012

Book of love....... Seared Salmon

Happy New Year!!  I hope that you have enjoyed the first few days of 2012 and have started this new year with a great culinary adventure. Now, if as you read this your stomach is aching from the overeating blues of the Holidays please take my advice: breath, drink a cup of tea, perhaps a enjoy a biscuit, read the recipe below and start planning out your next meal.

I had the great pleasure of cooking for some very special people this evening. Earlier last week looking at my schedule for January I knew that I would not have the opportunity to just cook for pleasure with little to no rules, regulations or pre-written menus in the coming months. Knowing this I was extremely excited for my evening's kitchen adventure.
The meal I created has always been special to my heart as during the winter months it can ignite warmth on the coldest of days and provides a nice reminder of truly how flavours from the heart can play into a meal.  When I arrived at my lovely destination I had one request and this was for Salmon. Which was actually perfect because I also had it in mind. The next ingredient I saw sitting on the table during my arrival was a vibrant, gorgeous bowl of home grown kale. 
Then quick as anything the rest of dinner came together.
Seared Salmon 
Sweet bacon, artichoke, and kale Stew
Rosemary and Leek, Roasted Potato and Sweet Potato
Fresh Cucumber, Tomato, pepper and Goat Cheese Salad with Aged Balsamic 
 To make the stew you need: 
3 Slices Bacon
1/2 Onion
3 Garlic Cloves
1 Can Artichoke Hearts sliced
1 Cup chopped Mushrooms
5 Cups Kale
1/2 Cup Wine
2 Cups Stewed Tomatoes
1 tsp Sugar
Dice the onion, garlic and bacon then place in a pan on medium heat. Let the bacon cook out until it begins to crisp and then add your chopped mushrooms and sliced artichoke hearts. Cook together for 10 minutes letting the flavours combine. Then add in your kale and wine. Turn the heat up to high and let the wine almost fully evaporate. Add in your stewed tomatoes with 1 cup water and sugar. (You add the sugar to cut the natural acidity of the natural stewed tomatoes) Leave the temperature on high and give the stew time to slowly simmer and thicken. This will take around 15-20 minutes.

Now my friends this stew can be enjoyed with Seared salmon as we did tonight, or on risotto, with chicken, vegetables, quinoa..... feel free to choose your own adventure and try this recipe out with a few different meals. 
Most importantly when trying this recipe remember to share your culinary creation with people who make you smile. I did, and sure as I know this smile will be lasting long into the New Year. 

Eat drink and enjoy!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment