Tuesday 10 January 2012

Get happy...

Good evening, and happy almost middle of the week to you. Now my food loving friends there is something I have to share with you this evening. I am currently working on opening a local butchery shop and produce store here in good ol' Halifax (hurrah) Now, with owning your own business and opening a shop sometimes the day can seem a little longer than most 24hours. When days are busy and obstacles arise I work through them by finding inspiration in my day to day activities. Here tonight I will share with you an event that feeds my positive spirit and food loving soul. 

No matter what every two weeks I know that I will be re-inspired and ready to take on the world. This is because every two weeks I have the absolute pleasure of cooking with Canada's Next Great Chef. Now Canada's Next Great Chef is 12 years old and wonderfully passionate about food. I cannot fully explain to you just how much zest cooking with him add to my life. Our cooking lesson will keep me smiling for days. Here are the reasons why:

a) I love teaching cooking, and he is the most studious of all. Always asking questions (usually stumping me)
b) He is a wonderful reminder of why I love this industry so much. It is always inviting new innovative, food loving people into it no matter what age they are.
c) He reminds me of a much littler me as when I was his age I too wished to read cookbooks, asked questions, create recipes and adventure in the kitchen. 

Not to mention we cook GREAT food. He pushes the boundaries with recipes, and continues to approach each lesson with new ideas. With this young chef I have eaten some of the most amazing meals in my lifetime. As much as I teach him I can honestly say that I probably learn more from these Sunday afternoon cooking lessons then he takes from me. I remind myself of the proper way to make sauces, why as cooks we should reference and understand the five mother sauces of french cuisine, and ensure that I am working on proper cooking techniques. 

In my world which is filled with amazing talented chefs, pastry chefs, sommeliers, restauranteurs, food writers and critiques it is Sunday afternoon lovely readers where I find true inspiration. 

Take a look the pictures of our food should as the dishes speak for themselves. I hope each and everyone of you has a young mentor to find such culinary teachings from and remind yourself: Get back to the heart of the kitchen, remember the basics, adventure to the fullest, and please please please keep smiling and have fun.

Eat, drink, and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment