Friday 30 December 2011

Alla en el rancho grande...

Happy middle of the road my dears. We are officially past the Holiday season and into the big wind up to New Years. I am sure that you have by this time come up a grande menu for tomorrow eve's adventures and are looking forward to ringing in the upcoming year in culinary style. 

As December has a large focus on food, family, fun times and a frenzy of beverages I want to share with you a few special meals created for those that I care deeply about. This year my mother decided that the only way to spend real time with her family was to take us out of the city for two days. Being in the cold season, this time together as a family turned quickly into an eating retreat and I happily turned to kitchen to relax. 
 
When stuck in the woods among mass amounts of food I think it is very important to pace yourself. Our afternoon snacking concentrated on some great meats, cheese, and wine. 
 
As the skies grew dark and evening came my flavours became richer and more rustic. I love being out in the middle of nowhere in a kitchen where I can just cook from the heart. I braised a local rabbit in a wonderful one pot stop kind of meal. The flavours of this dish are robust, rich, intense and earthy.
 This rabbit turned beautiful and tender, and it felt good to be cooking close to home as it was naturally raised, and from a wonderful local farm here in good ol' N.S.
 
The next day our eating retreat took a turn backwords as I cooked a second Christmas dinner for my family. I was so busy leading up to December 25 that I was not able to cook this meal so for my sister who craved my home cooked turkey we recreated the traditional menu as a family. Right down to the apple pie

I have to say that this eating retreat was the best possible vacation I could have asked for. As time spent with family brought together by great food and fun is a beautiful reminder of just how lucky I am. 

Happy New Years! Be safe, Eat well, Drink heartily, Dance soulfully, Sing joyfully and check back soon for some new recipes and culinary adventures in the New Year. Cheers to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment