Tuesday 20 December 2011

Mardi gras in New Orleans....

Hello hello hello! My it feels like it has been forever since I have sat down to write a blog. I apologize for my lack of blog posting last week my friends. It is currently the season for catering and so no longer am I at my computer but running around a prep kitchen between functions. For chefs I do believe this may be the most love/hated time of the year. Love, because we truly do get to do what we enjoy most everyday and are constantly on the go. Hate, because it's the season where we do not have the time to enjoy any of the great food that is being eaten this time of year; we are just too darn busy. I have eaten more cereal in the past two weeks than I care to say and am not very proud of it.  So my friends what do chefs do with the small bit of time that we have free?
We COOK, we EAT, we DRINK, and we PLAY with flavours in the kitchen like there is no tomorrow!
Yesterday this is exactly what I did. The morning started off with sugar cookie Christmas baking with a great friend and her lovely little girl. 


 This was the most wonderful way to spend a morning. I could honestly bake with those two lovelies and decorate for hours. When baking cookies it is important to have a wee person around because you can become inspired by their amazing imagination. It also provides the best excuse too follow their lead, eat way too much icing, sprinkles and candy. 

 After the great cookie bake,  I met up with two very good chef friends of mine knowing full well that the rest of my day was to be dedicated to sausage making and eating. I like to think of us as The Three Musketeers (Chef Styles)  If there was ever an award for most cheese, meat, and beverages bought, and consumed by three people guaranteed we would take home the gold. We had to make up for our sad cereal diet over the last month. The three of us now seldom have the time to spend with eachother so when we do we adventure as we all LOVE food and cooking.  This time our adventure had us making homemade sausages, eating a loaf of foie gras and indulging in many different brews!! Fun, educational, tasty, and hilarious.
 We made two different kinds of sausages, and our grocery list consisted of: A loaf of Foie Gras,  7 types of cheese, a tasting of many different wines and beer to wet our whiskers, rabbit terrine, baguette, duck confit, duck proscuitto, grainy and traditional dijon mustard, and of course much meat for the grinding!
 This eve was a surefire way to wash away any cereal blues and invite much cheer for the holiday season and New Year to come. So friends no matter what you have indulged in over the last few days I dare you to grab some buddies, choose your favorite ingredients, get into the kitchen, kick up your heals, strap on a apron and have some fun!!



Eat drink and enjoy!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment