Saturday 10 December 2011

Button up your overcoat... Gingerbread cake

Good Saturday morning!

Last night I had a strangely wonderful evening baking with a very special woman. My mother. Now to many of you this probably wont sound strange. I mean it is December, baked goods are usually made around this time, mothers 9 out of 10 times will bake at least 3 times a year, and really what could be so strangely wonderful about this. 

Well my dears my mother doesn't bake, except gingerbread cookies. However the cookies are made in secret before myself and sisters come home for the Holidays.  I haven't actually seen this happen in years. I can honestly say I have never baked a cake with my mother and surely not pranced around the kitchen sharing ingredients, reading recipes and listening to Christmas music. Until last night. And now my friends I am smiling, smelling scents of holidays to come, tasting lovely flavours: clementines, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, apples. Ah the Holiday season is officially here.

Was it the full moon last night? I am not sure but I had to share this recipe with you because I am now certain that it is truly special.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 egg
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2.5 cup flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • .5 tsp cloves
  • 1 cup hot tap water
Method:
  1. Cream butter, and then add sugar, egg and molasses. Beat well.
  2. Sift together all dry ingredients.
  3. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to butter mixture at a time, mixing well between each addition.
  4. Add hot water and beat until thoroughly combined.
  5. Pour batter into a greased greased bunt pan.
  6. Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.
Glaze: 
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Water
1/4 Cup Scotch (another 1/4 cup for you and whomever you are baking with)
1/4 Cup Cream
Put brown sugar and water up in a pan and heat on medium. The sugar will liquify and then begin to bubble. This will take at least 7 minutes on medium heat as you want to make sure the sugar begins to turn a darker colour. Then add scotch slowly to the pot. Be careful it will bubble up the sides. Take of the heat and add in your cream.

If you are in need of a bit of Holiday Spirit, and perhaps an evening filled with magic try this recipe out. Who knows what what surprise is in store for you. 


Eat, drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment