Thursday 6 October 2011

Whole lot of shakin' going on.... Apple Cider

I have a confession! I have a love. This love is sometimes tart, can be sweet, with many different varieties and is pretty much the star of most of the dishes I have been making in the last few weeks.  Can you guess what it is? Mmmmmm Apple Cider!!!
Yes m'dears I said it.. I've got an addiction to apple cider and I just can't seem to shake it off.  
Now I know that I talked about apple sauce, and apple butter in a previous blog. However Apple Cider is a whole other ball game. 
So much so that Apple Cider can actually span into a full days meals.
Now ma'am or sir depending on the reader i'm talking to Apple cider can be a key player in breakfast, lunch or dinner. For all you questionning what is really apple cider. It is essentially squashed (juiced) apples that aren't filtered like apple juice but instead left to ferment and then bottled to drink.

Let me explain further through a little show and tell how my love for apple cider has blossomed into multiple meals a day. 
Apple Cider Oatmeal - 
If you wake up in the morning and are chilled and need something hot and hearty to carry you into a wonderful day. Use Apple Cider instead of water or milk to make your oatmeal in the morning. This will sweeten your oatmeal right up so that you don't have to use brown sugar. I love mixing my oatmeal with nuts, and dried fruit. In the picture below I used a bit of pumpkin seeds because it is the time for pumpkins, dried cranberries (being thanksgiving weekend and all) and some petite but oh so flavorful dried currants.
 When feeding a larger group.
I have used apple cider to flavorfully cook chicken breasts to pair with roast potatoes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Risotto, Quinoa Salad, or even to put into sandwich's. 

Apple Cider can be added to sweet mulled wine and heated to make a lovely drink on a autumns eve. 
It can be your fresh apple in the morning, crisp and tangy.
You can reduced Apple Cider down to a caramel consistency and pour on ice cream, yogurt or used to glaze some fresh out of the oven scones. 
Perhaps try Apple Cider with some apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard, rosemary and olive oil to make a dressing for your next salad
And buying Apple Cider could be the start of a life long friendship from you and your local producing farmer. 

I'm hooked and thirsty, I hope you are too.

Eat, drink and enjoy!!




.

No comments:

Post a Comment