Wednesday 3 August 2011

Dear hearts and gentle people...

Tonight I taught a cooking lesson and it was fun!! I am sitting drinking lemon ginger tea and smiling having been reminded today of why I love food and teaching cooking lessons.

I was wrecked with nerves all day about this cooking lesson. Anxiously going over recipes in my head and double checking that I had all ingredients ready go to. The lesson was with a wonderful mother and her two lovely daughters (good friends of mine). For some reason cooking or spending an evening teaching a cooking lesson to good friends is always a little more stress provoking then for strangers.  The ladies wanted to learn how to cook something flavourful, different from their eating norms, and that would bring them together as a family. 

From this we decided on a Thai inspired dinner: 

Culinary Lesson 1 Menu

 Thai Shrimp Vermicelli Rice Rolls 
Spicy Red Chili Mango Salad
Chicken Basil Coconut Red Curry
Jasmine Rice with Cinnamon
Lemon Grass Crème Brulée

The Ladies were absolute champions in the kitchen. Asking questions, taking turns, interested in every smell, sizzle, cut, and taste. It is so cool to be a part of someone else's adventure into food discovery.      
After the ladies were done cooking a miraculous meal they invited me to stay and eat with them. A very generous offer. Usually after a cooking lesson I just pack up, leave and let the 'students' tend to their feast. This was something different. This was the best reminder of how food can bring people together. We sat with wine, chuckling, telling old stories (Back 
when we were that age.....)
My favourit part of the meal was watching everyone crack into their creme brulee's. There is a magical pleasure that one gets while breaking through the caramel sugar crust and diving into the luscious smooth sweet custard. A treasure chest indeed.  In the picture the creme brulee has yet to be caramelized.... They didn't last long once it happened.
So to go back to my original message of my blog this evening. Tonight I saw how food brought together people of different generations for one common interest, formed smiles, allowed indulgences, opened up new conversations, brought back old ones and built the foundation for a memorable evening. Thank you friends for allowing me to adventure with you in the kitchen and then follow through into the dinning room.

Eat, drink and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment