Sunday 19 February 2012

Cracklin' Rosie.....Mushrooms!

Hello hello and happy Sunday evening to you. I wonder what kind of flavour filled feast you have on the menu for tonight. I myself am marinating a lovely Venison steak in some red wine, garlic, thyme, rosemary and amore. This will be eaten with some local valley boiled potatoes, parsnip, carrots and sauteed mushrooms. I love an evening when I can look down and see that everything on my plate has been locally grown. 

 The other day I was contacted by a representative of Select Nova Scotia who are currently working on their Winter Fresh Campaign. They are showing people different and fun ways to enjoy local food in the winter. They asked if I would like to take part in the campaign by coming up with a fun and tasty mushroom recipe using beautiful pesticide free locally grown Valley Mushrooms
 My answer... YES please. 

Inspiration stems from many different places. After a quick talk about the different varieties of mushrooms produced by Valley Mushrooms I set my sights on a winter hors d'oeuvres creation using as many local products as possible. 

Here we are my friends a recipe made with much love to our local producers.
 
Recipe:  Red Wine Herb Roasted Mushroom with Local Dragons Breath Cheese and Nova Scotia Honey Drizzle

½  Red onion
2 Sprigs Thyme
2 Sprigs Rosemary

Thinly slice your mushrooms and red onion and finely chop your garlic. Melt butter into a medium sized sauté pan on medium heat and add in your garlic, thyme, rosemary, onions and mushrooms. Cook for 12 minutes allowing the mushrooms time to shrink in size and begin to brown. Once the mushrooms have begun to brown add your red wine and simmer the liquid for 5 minutes or until it has almost fully reduced.  Salt and pepper to taste

Slice your baguette and lay the slices out on a plate. Spoon your hot mushrooms onto the slice of baguette. Top with a crumbling of ThatDutchman’s Farm Dragons Breath Cheese and a drizzle of Cosman and Whidden PureNova Scotia Honey

Treat yourself to a few of these. I am sure as the flavours play on the tip of your tongue you will truly be thankful for all the wonderful local producers we have here in Good ol' Nova Scotia.  If you are not from N.S., but another wonderful province or part of the world I dare you to go out and do the same as I did. Replace my local with your local!! Yum yum yum... 

Eat, drink and enjoy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment