Tuesday 1 November 2011

Till I Kissed ya.... Swallows Nest



I have officially been introduced to the most magical, food inspiring, memory making place in the world! Who, What, Where, How may you ask. Sit tight and I shall answer all your questions.

The Swallows Nest Farm Stay - at TapRoot Farms a family farm is located in Kings County, of the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. From their hands to our hands, the family grows delicious, nutritious and ethically produced foods. I have great appreciation for TapRoot, what they believe in as well as the food they produce.

Not only does TapRoot offer their year round  delicious farm fresh sustainable food; they offer the world a little piece of magic that individuals like myself and you can rent out to spend sometime away from our busy lives. Introducing the Swallows Nest I was first introduced to the Swallows Nest this summer during a invigoration tour of the farm and instantly fell in love. It was as if I had finally found a key to the secret garden.

The Swallows Nest was originally built in the early 1980's and was built in a sustainable manner with wood stoves, a very intricate design and originally had an attached green house, work shop and had a organic sustainable farm surrounding the house (talk about living off the land!) 
I took a quick look at the original drawings and it states that they were made with love. A natural kinship for me. 

 When TapRoot Farms took over the property they decided to open it up and rent it out to people looking for a special place to spend some time. As I said before I knew instantly that this was a place I could easily rent out and run away to find not only some culinary inspiration (being surrounded by beautiful farmland) but also a fun getaway with friends or family. 

Last week I did just this so that I could then share the tale with you! I stayed at The Swallows Nest with a wonderful friend and it was almost indescribable. 
Swallows Nest sleeps up to 11 people: one crib, two twin beds, one double bed, two queen beds, one king bed and one pull out couch.
  • Multi-age, multi-interest library
  • Dry sauna (Yup!)
  • Two person jacuzzi (ridiculous!)
  • Two toilets, one shower, one tub - A beauty at that A vintage Tub with Legs 
It has a beautiful kitchen that I'm sure the 7 dwarfes including Snow white would feel like giants in. The kitchen is warm, open and a wonderful place to cook in. It inspired me to make a pancetta, caramelized onion, fresh tomato and basil pasta!
The property has two large ponds, a walking trail, and a fire pit. As well as a reading nook so that when your in the mood to just sit and read  you can settle into one of the many books they have in the library.


 How? You may still be asking can you run away and take part in an adventure to the Swallows Nest
Contact The Swallows Nest Stay Reservations and do check our their website as there are other activities to take part in that I haven't mentioned. As in the current moment I am caught up in my own memories and am counting the days until the next visit.

Eat, Drink and Enjoy (and... support your local farmers =) )

1 comment:

  1. Oh man - we need to vacation here as a family. What a perfect spot!!!

    ReplyDelete