Wednesday 30 November 2011

Que sera sera..... Seafood Pasta

Goodevening food loving friends. I hope that the middle of the week is treating you well.

Working for myself I do not always get the opportunity to enjoy the company of, be inspired by and learn from fabulous chefs in the industry. I think of my peers as mentors and I truly believe that I can learn much from them, their experience and their passion. Today I was in luck as I was asked by a friend and respected Chef to work with him and an incredible Chef that was in town for the day (we chefs like to help eachother out =) ) I said an enthusiastic YES and this had me spending the morning working with two chefs, both whom I greatly look up to. I can't quite explain the sense of excitement I get when I look into someone's eyes and just see pure passion for the industry I am apart of. More than inspiring.. invigorating, exciting, enlightening... It makes me feel alive!

Now my friends before this morning I was thinking about my blog and what I could share with you. After my morning of being a sponge and learning in the kitchen I was PUMPED to share a recipe. Now the base of this recipe and concept was first introduced to me by a good friend two years ago. Since then I have tweaked and played with many different versions. It is simple, delicious and sure to please.
So next time your feeling a bit of weight on your shoulders or are looking for a meal to cheer up the middle of week  perhaps you can try this. As it makes me smile.. much like my day. 


 You will need:
Olive Oil (I use spicy oil because I like heat!)
Your favorite pasta
Zucchini
Smoked Bacon
Artichoke Hearts (canned or fresh)
Garlic
Onion or Scallions
Tomato 
Kale 
Spinach
Shrimps
Scallops
OR 
if you don't want that replace with salmon, chicken or just leave it as is.
I also added White Beans on the side because I felt like more vegetables (not necessary)
 

Dice up your bacon, onions and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes so that the bacon begins to crisp and the onions and garlic cook together. 
While you are doing this boil your beans for a 3 minutes until soft, drain and then set aside.
Then add in your tomatoes and cook down for 4 minutes while chopping up the rest of the ingredients. Chop up the ingredients however your heart desires! 
While your sauce is cooking and the flavours are getting to know eachother heat a separate pan on high heat and add 1 tsp oil. Season your shrimp and scallops with salt and pepper. when the oil has heated add the scallops and shrimp carefully in the pan as you don't want to burn yourself. 

While you are cooking your scallops and shrimp boil your pasta until al dente (cooked firm but not hard) 

When your pasta is finished cooking add it into pan that your sauce has been cooking in. When doing this add in a little bit of the pasta water. This will help combine the flavours and coat the pasta with your lovely sauce.



Then plate and eat. Yum yum yum. 

p.s. While writing this blog I had a wonderful time tutoring a lovely friend and former cooking student via skype while he made a Parisian inspired meal for a special someone. He was making Chicken Cordon Bleu (if translated directly means blue ribbon... One of the highest awards a chef can receive in France)  I was typing this while talking him through the process. He may not have been trying out the meal that I have described to you, however the fact that he was cooking, trying a new recipe and sharing his meal with his special someone was the icing on my cake to this invigorating day. 

Eat, drink and enjoy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! I can almost smell the aromas coming through my computer.

    Wonderful post as always!

    ReplyDelete