Tuesday 8 November 2011

I'd know know you anwhere... Caramel Treats

 Good Tuesday evening to you! 

There are certain recipes that I learned long ago and will never forget. The scents in the kitchen, the first taste, anxiously waiting for other peoples review... these moments will never fade in my mind. Lately as I teach my cooking classes I find myself getting a little nostalgic remembering back to when I first learned the different techniques that I am now privilidged enough to share with other people. I couldn't be happier than when I'm teaching cooking! After my lessons I always have a huge smile on my face and a skip in my step. It is too cool to know that I just helped somebody create a yummy meal that they will be able to make again and share with other people. Perpetually creating full tummy's and smiles.

The other day I was trying to figure out a fun dessert to teach and couldn't quite catch a recipe in my mind that stuck out. Then it happened! I thought about the first dessert I ever made from a recipe. Although simple it still taught me how to make caramel, use the oven carefully and create a teeth turning, mouth watering, sweeter than sweet, chewy, crunchy, chocolate, caramel, indulgent dessert. 

I went to my lesson and had an amazing time re-living this recipe and teaching it to somebody else. Now my friends I want to share it with you. 

Almond Rolka Squares
1 Package Graham Crackers
Place on non stick baking sheet as evenly as possible

1.5 Cup fresh caramel
in a pot put 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp water. Leave on medium heat
 the sugar will turn to liquid and then slowly start turning colour. Wait until the sugar is bubbling and has turned a deep brown then add 1/2 Cup Whipping Cream. Be careful when adding the cream as the sugar will bubble up quite quickly. Then pour the caramel onto the graham crackers .

Spread the caramel evenly so that it has fully covered the gram crackers.  Then take 1 package chocolate chips and spread over caramel. From there take 2 cups sliced Almonds and sprinkle them over the caramel and now melted chocolate chips. (Oh my, oh my oh my... )
At this point if your tummy isn't rumbling and your sweet tooth hasn't begun to go crazy you may be reading the wrong blog post. Next week we can concentrate on how to cook veggies =)

Then all you need to do is put it in the oven on broil for 2 minutes. EH VOILA you have the tastiest dessert, usually welcomed with open arms and mouths by friends, family, acquaintances and anyone else who may be close by. Cheers to childhood treats and kitchen memories.










Eat, Drink and enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I remember you making these! Best treats to come home too after training. Great, great choice!

    ReplyDelete