Friday 9 March 2012

Days of Wine and Roses....Culinary Creations

Hello darlings and a very Happy Friday to you! Here we are on our way into spring. What better way to celebrate the change in weather and longer days than a wonderful evening of cooking and baking with another local food lover and blog.

Last Saturday I did just this, and did the time in the kitchen ever feel nice. Lately with work between the shop and catering I have found little time to play around in the kitchen. Trying out new creations is what I love, and am always open to a new challenge. Especially when it comes to baking. So when my friend suggested we try to recreate this but on a much smaller scale I say whoooaaahhhh and YES. My friend has a love for icing and learning new piping techniques as well as pretty things.

I also suggested we pair food with our evening full of pastry fun. So in order to keep with the idea pairing with love I thought how about a dinner of Fresh stuffed Ravioli.

 We started the evening by setting the kitchen alight with beautiful aromas of roasted tomatoes and onion. Always a staple in my homemade tomato sauces.
 
Then set to work on the cake batter. and of course the icing. A very important piece. She hand whipped the icing with more care than I would ever of had the patience for and in doing so created a velvety smooth piece of art.  As she patiently made the icing I whipped up a lovely batch of ravioli stuffed with caramelized onions and mascarpone cheese. I love using mascarpone cheese especially paired with something as naturally sweet as caramelized onions. The texture is beautiful and soft in the mouth. Much nicer than ricotta.
The cake was beautiful, and the pasta yummy. It was indeed wonderful to indulge in both our passions for cooking and pastry. Sharing in culinary tips and tricks of the trade.   I was thinking after the evening how I probably wouldn't have tried to make this cake without her suggestion. How wonderful to walk away from an evening full of good food, an amazing dessert and new icing ideas. Craving an adventure in the kitchen? Suddenly, I am!


Eat, drink and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment