Tuesday 12 February 2013

For the love of Food!..

Dearest Readers and Food lovers, 

I hope you had a splendid weekend and enjoyed many tasty adventures. I myself, was lucky enough to get away and have a two full days of kitchen oriented fun. Here are a few snapped photo's of my  fun food frenzy:

The dish that stood out for me this weekend was flavorful, light, local, and took me out of my comfort zone. I had to bake it before I could use it in my meal. Do not fret if I can bake it there is not doubt you can conquer the recipe too.  Baking has known to make me weak at the knees. If you have a similar reaction, take a deep breath, read through the directions a few times, play some sweet tunes and invite a friend to join in the fun! 

 This meal would suite a Sunday morning, breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! 
Coffee Maple Bacon (curtesy of HighlandDrive Storehouse ) and Sally Lunn Bun French Toast 
Sally Lunn Recipe: 
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup Warm Milk
1/2 Cup Butter 
Warm Together and then add in 
1/4 Cup Sugar 
Let the Yeast come alive =) 
Then add 3 whole eggs at room temperature
3.5 Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt 
Beat together  with a wooden spoon until smooth (around 2 minutes) and then let the dough rise for at least 1 hour. Butter your muffin tins, portion the dough into the tins. This recipe should make at least 12 buns. Then let dough rise again for another 30 minutes and bake for 8 minutes at 400F. 

NOW...to make the French Toast: Wait until you have day old Sally Lunn Buns. Then slice them 1/2 inch thick. Make up your french toast mixture - Beat  3/4 Cup Milk, 2 Eggs, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Vanilla, 1/2 tsp clove
Preheat a pan on medium with 1 tsp butter and let it brown a little. Dunk your cut sally lunn into your fragrant and sweet french toast mix. After 30 seconds in the liquid transfer the moist sally lunn into the preheated and buttered pan. Cook for a good 3 minutes on either side or until golden brown.

Serve with your favorite local bacon and a fruit salad of your choice. If you are not in the mood for fruit then toss together your favorite greens and enjoy!

Now usually at this point in the blog I would say Eat, Drink and Enjoy .... and then have a toe tapping tune for your enjoyment. Instead today I introduce you to Chef Dennis Tay: a Chef I respect a great deal and old culinary school colleague. He has made the cut for Top Chef Canada. His passion, respect and sheer drive in culinary arts is incredible. I invite you to watch and support him in his dream. 

Until next week food loving friends.










No comments:

Post a Comment